What is it that provides real power in ministry? It is possible for us to be fooled into thinking that the power comes from our knowledge, our wisdom, our skill, our strength, our eloquence, our creativity, even our personal charm. May I give you a hint? That’s not it. In fact, we come to the end of our resources pretty quickly.
Certainly, the real power in ministry comes from the Holy Spirit. It is absolutely essential to live in the power of the Holy Spirit and to access the Spirit’s power in our service to the Lord. Soon we discover that the Holy Spirit is working in ways that we cannot fully comprehend but that are very magnificent.
The other means of power in ministry is being on the same page with the Lord. It really matters little if my will is accomplished, but it matters a great deal if our Heavenly Father’s will is accomplished. We must get on the same page with God. I am no expert, but here are the questions I find myself asking God continually in prayer:
- Dear Lord, what your concerns in this situation?
- What do you care about most in this situation?
- What do you want to have happen, and do you want me to be involved in some way in the solution?
- Whose lives are you working in right now? What is burdening you about their situation? What do you want to see happen in their lives?
- How can I glorify you in the things that are happening in my life right now?
- How can I glorify you in situations that may be very difficult?
- What is your heart? I am asking solely for the purpose of having my heart be conformed to your heart.
God is the one who is doing the work of ministry. There are times when he graciously allows us to join him in his work. We must rely on the Holy Spirit and get on the same page with God as we join him in his ministry.