Saturday, September 23, was a great day for missions and for running on our campus. We had an amazing Marion and Ruth Gray Cross Country Invitational, and a super Marion and Ruth Gray Refuse To Do Nothing 5K Walk/Run. Middle school and high school runners from all across central Ohio participated in the invitational. The Refuse To Do Nothing Walk/Run had great participation and benefitted three missions:
• God’s Fellowship Ministries of Pakistan
• Josh and Chloe Glenn – Team Expansion Missionaries in Franklinton
• Bethel Temple – Mission trip to the Dominican Republic, April, 2018.
All proceeds from the day go to those three missions. Monies are continuing to be received from this event, and you are going to really be pleased when we are able to release the total!
It is so appropriate that this entire event honors Marion and Ruth Gray, their memory and their legacy on this campus. I have to admit that the tears were rolling down my cheeks as I ran in the race across land that was given to Madison Christian Church many years ago by Marion and Ruthie. The Gray family was here in full force to participate in the event.
I want to recognize the joint effort on this project between Madison Christian Church and Madison Christian School. We are in full partnership on this event with Andy Scholz and Carol Witosky and the Athletic Department of Madison Christian School. This event serves as a marvelous example of the kind of teamwork that exists between the church and school. (Please understand that this event would be impossible without the effort and expertise of Andy Scholz, Athletic Director at Madison Christian School.)
• Tremendous thanks to those that got sponsors and ran or walked the 5K. (Thanks also to those who donated rather than having to walk or run the 5K race.) ☺
• Thank you to the area businesses that donated the prizes that were in the bags for competitive runners and goodie bags for the Kids’ Fun Run. (Watching those children run their race with such enthusiasm was a real treat!)
• Thank you to all those that donated homemade baked goods for the bake sale. All of those proceeds go directly to the missions.
• We are so grateful for the outstanding buy-in of the Madison Men’s Ministry and the Madison Christian Church Mission Committee, both of which made leadership gifts.
• We appreciate so much the corporate sponsors of this event. Many thanks to Shelly Graham and John Harper of Sharper Images Lawn Care for their work on the 5K course. We are thankful to Ken Heiberger and Heiberger Paving for providing the equipment used to roll the course into great shape.
Even at the risk of messing up and missing someone, I want to name some folks that I noticed put in “above and beyond the call of duty” effort: Eric Hannahs, Wendy Souzis, Jon Souzis, Aaron Crabtree, Jean White, Jill Woerner, Joan Montgomery, Bruce Hutchins, Margaret Hutchins, Melody Timmons, Erma York, Gene York, Becky Robinson, Pam Cottrill, Dave Witosky, Shelly Graham, Mike Richardson, John Davidson, Madison Christian Church Women’s Ministry Team, Tracy Brininger, Amy Scholz, Donna Steinhauser, Heather Tolles, Jerry Sedwick, and Kathy Sedwick. Although I will get in trouble at home for this, I want to also acknowledge that Diane Barnes puts in a large amount of effort on this project.
THANK YOU TO ALL, AND PRAISE TO THE LORD FOR MAKING THE MARION AND RUTH GRAY REFUSE TO DO NOTHING A GREAT SUCCESS!!